Thursday, July 4, 2013

A favourite spot

My favourite park is Cates Park (now called Whey-a-wichen).  My teen years were spent near here, and the park proved a place of solace from all that teen angst and poetic melancholy.  Prior to moving to the area, we'd lived in a very urban setting, so the park was really my first solo experience of walking in the woods (on a well-groomed trail, mind you).


Last summer, my mother sold the family house and moved into a condo in the same area, but at a greater distance from the park.  Yesterday, I trotted off to see just how far it was on foot from the new abode and was delighted to find it a mere 30 minutes away, all downhill.  I spent a refreshing hour or so walking through the trails and sitting on the beach


...and getting lots of photos...before climbing back up those hills home.  This, I believe, will now be my daily exercise and meditation program.  And photo indulgence.  I hope you'll be able to join in...

16 comments:

  1. Sounds like a wonderful place! A "sabbatical" spot :) I'll be with you in spirit. :) Looking forward to you sharing your photos and experiences...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely a "sabbatical" spot! It feels so rejuvenating and refreshing to be there. So much so, that the feeling enables me to withstand the uphill slog home without grumbling. Glad to have your spirit in tow (or is that tao?)

      Delete
  2. The first photo is gorgeously painterly.
    Can't wait to join you in your walks, Lynne. Yay for Virtual Fitness!! I'm sure it will be sooooo much more fun than climbing up a hill myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a lot of fun playing with that image in various online applications (Pixlr, Perfect Effects 4)to try to reproduce the "feeling" that I get being in that magic spot. I do like your idea of virtual fitness! I think I'll start watching some online yoga. Heck, might as well see if I can find some jogging and weights work outs to really burn the digital calories accumulated while blogging.

      Delete
  3. Anonymous05 July, 2013

    What lovely shots - the first is like a surreal painting and the second one so peaceful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I did have fun tampering with the original images...must try to restrain myself a bit in the future...or not. Glad you liked the results.

      Delete
  4. What a delightful spot and a gorgeous location for photography - enjoy the summer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Catherine. The park is overgrown with photo inspirations. Thank goodness for digital cameras! Have a great summer, yourself!

      Delete
  5. Happy memories. I hope your mother's foot is getting better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, indeed...was such fun having you in my 'hood! Too bad I didn't get to drag you down to the park. Maybe another time???

      Delete
  6. Happy memories indeed! Hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, good times! So glad you got to stay at the old homestead and see some of my favourite haunts. I still have many pix to post from out days out together.

      Delete
  7. It's such a bonus to have a place you always like to be - and the 30 mins walk there is good because, as you say, it's exercise. So seductive at the start too - definitely the best way than having the easy bit at the end...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes,you're so right, Jenny. I was feeling a little despondent at first, believing I'd lost convenient access to my favourite park but actually it's a bonus to be able to fit in a daily exercise regime around it. And the day has usually cooled down a bit by the time I'm heading uphill home. My just reward.

      Delete
  8. Sounds like a perfect walk on a decent weather day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, the weather has been perfect as well! Very rare.

      Delete